- Published on Sunday, 01 January 2012 07:03
- Written by John Draper
- Hits: 1088
When you produce an atheist blog, you come across a lot of atheists who are well known and are public figures. Some are more impressive than others and become favourites. I think of them as favourites if they are good speakers and/or writers and they manage to connect with the readers/viewers while staying civil yet tell it like it is. Some are no longer with us but most are still active in helping "get the message out". They are all in the category of people who I would like to have (or have had) a conversation with but in most cases this has not yet happened. I think that every one of them is making (or has made) a contribution to peace, sanity, prosperity, morality and rationality in the world. The list below is in approx. order of my admiration for them. There are many missing - I don't pretend to know everyone - this is a personal list.
Favourite well known atheists
- Christopher Hitchens - incredible writing and speaking ability. Inspirational.
- Daniel Dennett - very logical and a systematic thinker. Always respects other opinions
- Leonard Mlodinow - great writer, good at explaining difficult subjects
- Victor Stenger - a scientist first - good writer.
- Lawrence M. Krauss - brilliant physicist, good at explaining the big bang and similar subjects
- Ayaan Hirsi Ali - passionate critic of Islam and a good speaker
- Richard Dawkins - tireless worker and contributor to knowledge on evolution
- A.C. Grayling - good philosopher - good speaker.
- Patricia Churchland - brilliant researcher into the workings of the human mind.
- Stephen Hawking - brilliant physicist - willing to communicate his knowledge to the world
- Bertrand Russell - great philosopher
- J. Anderson Thomson - good writer - clearly explains why men invented God.
- Steven Weinberg - brilliant physicist
- James Randi - tirelessly exposes fraud in the fields of psychics and evangelical healers
- Sam Harris - Good writer and speaker on the science of the mind
- Michael Shermer - provides good explanations for many superstitions and other nonsense
- Carl Sagan - one of the first scientists who conveyed the wonder of the universe to the public
- Ricky Gervais - humour can convey how ridiculous religions are and Ricky does it best.
- John Loftus - the best known and eloquent ex preacher
- Barry Duke - has one of the web's best atheist blogs
- Julia Sweeney - comedienne and story teller
- Al Stefanelli - good writer
- Michel Onfray - good writer
Cobourg Atheist has articles referencing most of these people - use search to find them quickest.
For another list of famous atheists, go here.